Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
16, January, 2018, 11:40:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Veg oil conversions  (Read 13752 times)
Jamie
« on: 08, April, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »

Hello all

I'm thinking of fitting a preheater and heat exchanger kit to my 110 and my tatty old Rover 218 to run it on veg oil assuming I can find a reasonably priced supply of oil to use.

I found out as much as I can and it seems that most engines, especially landy engines run with no problems as long as the preheater has been installed.
No problems identifed with clogged injectors etc, only the world seems to smell of burning chip shops!

Has anyone else done this on their landy?

I'm going to fit the kit to my car first as it's only worth about 100 so if it dies then I'll only be moderately upset.
If I kill my 110 then I'll lose the will to live!

Jamie
nigel
Nigel Leyland 4x4RUK Trustee
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: 08, April, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »

What engines do you have in your car and your landy.........

200/300 TDi will happily run on veg oil veg oil mixes.......

twin tank is the best option but you will not get the benefit if you regularly travel short distances.

I run a 200TDi on veg/diesel/petrol mixes.....in summer as high as 95% veg and 5% petrol.

You will likely need to change your fuel filter sometime after begining to use vegoil as it pick up the crud in your fuel tank and fill up the fuel filter, but once cleaned it will be fine.
You will also need to change your engine oil about a 1000 miles earlier as any unburned veg oil will work its way past the pistons and into the sump oil.

You don't need the fuel heaters using this method but they will help.

I did have a problem starting last weekend, I had increased the diesel in the mix expecting colder weather but not the - 4.8% I awoke to!

Other engines do not tolerate veg oil as well and problrems most often occur with some types of injection pumps and "common rail" diesels are not suitable.

Hope that's helpfull

Land Rover, every journey an adventure
Jamie
« Reply #2 on: 10, April, 2008, 04:25:50 PM »

Hello

i've got a pug 1.8 diesel in my car and a Defender 200tdi in my 110.

Why do you think it's best to run a two tank system? Everything I've found out so far seems to point to running a veg oil/diesel mix in one tank and fit a preheater and away you go with no hassles.
Have you put the petrol in to up the octane rating? I've seen a lot reports that you can lose a bit of power running on 90%+ vegoil and it's slow enough to start with, especially after fitting a disco transfer box.

I do 400 miles a week in my car and even with the travelling expenses I get from work it's still not cheap.

I don't do as many miles in my landy partly because of lack of free time to play out but mostly because fuel is so expensive nowadays. If I can put stuff in the tank that won't blow my engine up or upset Customs and Excise then I'll go further afield.
I'm hoping to go around Scotland later in the year so cheaper fuel would come in handy. I don't mind if the whole world smells of chips as long as it's not causing me financial cramp!

Jamie

nigel
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: 10, April, 2008, 04:52:15 PM »

The two tank system permits your TDi to attain working temp on diesel before switching to 100% veg. So if you drive longer distances this is a cost effective system, if however you usually travel short distances as I do then mixing in the tank is better, but it will not achieve full combustion of the veg ouil when cold.

So if you are only going to use your 200TDi landy at weekends for longer runs this is the best system but there is the instalation expense............however with carefull mixing to allow for weather conditions you can use a single tank.

You can add up to 10% petrol with the veg oil, not to up the cetane rating but to merely thin it, Diesel does the same job but is more expensive and more is needed.....

I only ever use 5% petrol in the mix to be safe as if you get it wrong, you can severely damage your engine. Further thinning is achieved by the addition of Diesel.

I believe your Pug engine will be OK on veg but suggest you check it out yourself as I'm not overly familiar with these engines.

The Customs Man......

You are entitled to use up to 2500 ltrs of alternate fuel (fuel substitute) in any 12 month period (on a rolling basis) free of both duty and vat, without informing HMCE.
You are required to keep a record of use for six years....(no reciets ect, just a simple record of how many ltrs for each month)
If you excede this amount you are then liable for duty/vat on the full amount.

Please note: your wife, girlfriend,son,daughter,mother, father.....ie any other adult is also entitled to it even if they do not drive or don't have a car, they can run yours on it Grin

Good luck mate and if you find a cheap source of veg oil let me know Grin

Nigel.

Jamie
« Reply #4 on: 01, May, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »

I've got someone at work interested in the whole veg oil thing now.

He's got a TD5 Disco but don't know if they run well on oil or not.

Has anyone ran their TD5 on it?

Jamie
nigel
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: 01, May, 2008, 02:26:42 PM »

Now TD5 is allegedly not suitable for vegoil use.....however, there is a member of the DOC who is at this very moment carrying out some realtime testing on this very engine.

He is a methodical sort of chap which means his information well founded, and posts regularly.......unfortunately as yet the excersise is only in its early days.....but he has very good knowledge in the required areas.

I would therefore suggest that your workmate abstains from vegoil use for the time being untill further information is forthcoming, as there may be critical issues as yet unknown and repair replacement could prove expensive.

I will of course update any information which comes my way from reliable sources.

Nigel.

nigel
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: 03, May, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »

Latest info on TD5......

Apparently a Land Rover mechanic has been running a TD5 for over a year on an SVO mix without problems.

The chap I mentioned above still has no adverse effects to report after 3 months.

And a third postee is also happy with his TD5 on veg.

No one has reported any first hand problems.

all the above are using single tank and mixing in proportions to suit the ambiant temperature, but all agree that a twin tank is the best method for this engine.

And there are apparently manufacturers supplying kits for a TD5 twin tank conversion.

It looks as though your work college may be able to use veg oil, but I would just say that the TD5 engine has not had the millage on vegoil use that the 200 TDi has.

Hope that is helpful.

Nigel.

Jamie
« Reply #7 on: 08, May, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »

Thanks mate Grin

I'll pass the info on.

I'm 500 miles on with veg oil in my car and just started putting it in my 110. It'll be nice to be able to have my fuel gauge needle above halfway without crying into my wallet beforehand!

I've still managed to upset some bleeding heart liberals at work by turning over to a more environmentally friendly fuel. Apparently it's now my fault that the forests in South America are being cut down to grow more plants to produce veg oil and the native people are being forced out of their homes as a result.
You just can't win can you?

Bloody vegetarians! Angry

Just to annoy them I said that the people who live in the jungle were just unemployed bums with nowt to do but shoot monkeys with poisoned darts, and they should go out and find jobs.
How well do you think that went down... Wink
nigel
Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: 08, May, 2008, 06:58:55 PM »

Jungle = waste of good arable land.

Natives = Wild life destroying ne'er do wells.

Greenies = Band wagon jumping hypocrits.

Vegoil = Green solution to carbon neutrol fuel.

OK I made the first two up Roll Eyes

Nigel.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: