Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
16, January, 2018, 05:46:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: kielder  (Read 14179 times)
randoms
« on: 30, January, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »

Has anyone attended one of the kielder 4x4 safari days?
(just got new dates through)
Are they any good for beginners? And just how off road are the route? I've seen that there is an option to pitch your skills in a quarry after the main tour however this is beyond me at the moment.
shinyheed
Phil Douglas
4x4RNE Member
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: 30, January, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »

ian flint, a member on here, is one of the organisers of them he'll be able to tell you more
Rikki
« Reply #2 on: 30, January, 2011, 06:52:01 PM »

I did one last year in the snow... I would say they are ideal for a beginner as they are well organised and take into account all types of vehicle ( i took a 06 reg Kia Sportage hardly the most capable 4x4).  it is all on tracks  and I found it more than suitable for a "shiney"

I too declined the quarrry  Wink

As a first outing you could do a lot worse, and there is also the benefit you are rasing money for a good cause !

a bit of a write up and a few photo's from the day here
http://www.4x4responsenortheast.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1289.msg8526#msg8526
randoms
« Reply #3 on: 31, January, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »

Hi Rikki

thanks for the advice, I'm going to get booked up. I've always fancied going and love it up in that part of the world.
I tried the link you posted about previous visits to kielder but i don't have the required access to they it.

Thanks

Martin
flinty99
« Reply #4 on: 31, January, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »

Hi Martin.

As others have said I'm the organiser of the Kielder events  Grin. If you want more information just ask away. I will PM over my mobile number.

Hope to see you soon.

Ian
paulkeilder
Paul Allen
4x4RNE Member
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: 31, January, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

Hi Martin,
As Ian says he organises the event but I LEAD IT Tongue and I am driving a completely standard ford ranger double cab pickup. It may have a go faster yellow stripe down it and Forestry Commission on it but it goed just about everywhere Grin

and in 2wd most the time Cheesy

paul, Td5 Deffender 110

Crap spelling as standard
randoms
« Reply #6 on: 01, February, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »

thanks Paul,

I'm busy looking at the dates for this year, sadly a few early dates fall the day after my night shifts so it might be the middle of the year before i get round to coming.

Its good to know that the course is pickup friendly. I've seen some of the photos online of the event but they distinctly lack any pickups, but this also goes for most other 4x4 events/meets etc so i was questioning capability.

I'm looking forward to attending some of the off road meets with RNE to gain some experience and find out some techniques, do's and don't etc that maybe i can put into practice on the day.
HD462
Mark Sedgwick
4x4RNE Member
Forum Member

Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TDi Exceed

« Reply #7 on: 01, February, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »

I'd be interested in this too. I found the website here. Do we just book onto any safari, or are you talking about one for RNE members to do together?

Found it on Facebook too (Kielder 4x4 Safari) where there are pics showing you what it's like (ran by Ian). Anyone already planning on going on a certain date?

Mark.
randoms
« Reply #8 on: 01, February, 2011, 08:59:40 PM »

Hi Mark,

I'm trying to get some time off work to go in Feb however buy the time this is sorted i might of missed the places for that month. (sure places are limited)

Mind 'IF' the weather forecast is correct for the 2nd part of next month getting to kielder itself could be a safari!

Rgds

Martin
HD462
Mark Sedgwick
4x4RNE Member
Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: 01, February, 2011, 09:03:01 PM »

Hi Martin,

Yeah, I could be ok for that one too, I'm off that weekend (up to now anyway). Would be good to do one with other RNE members, meet a few people, although I guess we'll be in our cars most of the time anyway...lol

Mark.
flinty99
« Reply #10 on: 01, February, 2011, 09:29:40 PM »

Sorry I should have posted links to the website and Facebook page. Don't forget to sign up to the facebook page  Grin and if you are interested then the gton.co.uk website is the place to make a booking

We still have plenty of spaces available, so no rush.

As far as other RNE members go, on the day there will be at least 4 maybe 5 of us. For this event Paul is our Forest Ranger and Sarah, if she is allowed out the kitchen  Roll Eyes sometimes comes along to keep Paul in line. I will slso be there as well Les and Mark who are also event marshals.

As Mark says, most of the time we will be driving but we always find time for a little chat.

Hope to see you there  Smiley
randoms
« Reply #11 on: 01, February, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »

well it all sounds good to me just hope i can get the time off.
It Will be good to put faces to names and its good to know that there Will be plenty of advice/guidance on my first proper outing!

I do have one question. . .road tyre's be ok?

Martin
HD462
Mark Sedgwick
4x4RNE Member
Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: 01, February, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »

Another question too, what time does it start? As it's a canny trek up there from Teesside.

Mark.
flinty99
« Reply #13 on: 01, February, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »

8:45 meet for Breakfast, registration and briefing. A Free breakfast for the driver included in the ticket price and additional breakfasts for passengers can be purchased on the day.

By the time that is all all done, we set off into the forest at 10 and finish somewhere between 4 & 5 with a stop for lunch somewhere around 1pm.

Ian
HD462
Mark Sedgwick
4x4RNE Member
Forum Member

« Reply #14 on: 01, February, 2011, 10:05:49 PM »

Sounds good ! Smiley

Mark.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: